ATbar Chronology of Suicide Bombings Carried out by Women

Chronology of Suicide Bombings Carried out by Women

12/02/2003 | by Beyler, Clara  

In Lebanon

The first suicide attack occurred on April 9, 1985, in Bater Al Shuf Jezzin when a young woman, Khyadali Sana who had joined the Party 3 months before, drove a suicide car which exploded near an IDF convoy, killing two Israeli soldiers and wounding two others. She stated that her motive was to “avenge the oppressive enemy.” From the Merari database.

In the Security Zone of Ras Al Bayda, on July 9, 1985, a 28 year old woman, Kharib Ibtisam carried on a suicide attack on an SLA post wounding 2 to 6 Israelis. She recorded a videotape, wearing a red hat and dressed in uniform, in which she asked her parents to forgive her, and stating her wish “ to kill as many Jews and their assistants as she could.” From the Merari database.

On September 11, 1985, in Hatzbaya, Lebanon, a suicide attack was perpetrated by 18 year old Khaierdin Miriam on an SLA checkpoint, wounding two people. From the Merari database.

On November 26, 1985, in the Falous village of Jezzin, in South Lebanon, a suicide attack on a SLA checkpoint, was conducted by 17-year-old Al Taher Hamidah. According to estimates, the car was packed with at least 100Kg of explosives.

On July 17, 1986, in Jezzin Lebanon, a 26-year-old woman, wounding 7 people, perpetrated a suicide attack targeting Lebanese agents. Norma Abu Hassan blew herself up when she saw soldiers searching for her. From the Merari database.

Another female suicide bombing was recorded in Lebanon on November 14, 1987. A 37-year-old woman, Shagir Karima Mahmud, carried an explosive charge hidden in a bag into AUB Hospital, in Beirut causing the death of 7 people, and injuring 20. From the Merari database.

On November 11, 1987, a similar attack was carried out at Beirut airport, by a 20 year old Sunni woman, Sahyouni Soraya when the suitcase she was carrying exploded too early and killed its carrier as well as 6 people and injured 73. In both cases, the charge was activated by a remote control, therefore it is possible that the women did not know their bags contained explosives. From the Merari Database.

In Turkey

On June 30, 1996, the first female PKK suicide bomber killed 6 Turkish soldiers, and injured 30 people. The explosives were strapped to her stomach as if she were pregnant.

On October 25 of the same year, a 17 year-old PKK activist launched a suicide bomb attack at the police headquarters in Adana, killing 5 people and injuring 12. Laila Kaplan was disguised as a pregnant woman.

Four days later, on October 29, in Sivas, 2 policemen and one civilian were killed in a suicide attack carried out by Otas Gular, a 29-year-old woman. The female PKK activist was dressed as a pregnant woman, and was accompanied by another member of the group. It was the third suicide bombing, all three committed by women, to use the appearance of maternity. Ocalan had urged his troops to imitate Hamas by becoming human bombs.

On November 17, 1998, Ozen Fatma, a PKK suicide bomber killed herself with a bomb strapped to her body in Yuksekova, outside a police station in southeast Turkey. She missed her main target, which was a military convoy. Nevertheless, 6 people were wounded in the attack.

On December 1st, 1998, in a small supermarket frequented by Turkish soldiers in Lice, a Kurdish woman blew herself up in a suicide attack. Fourteen people were injured.

A woman set a bomb outside an army barracks in East Turkey on December 24, 1998, killing herself and a passer-by, and wounding 22 people.

On March 4, 1999, a woman set off a bomb in the main square of Batman, Turkey. Four people were wounded; it seems that the bomb blew up prematurely, and the alleged target was a police station in the square.

On March 27, 1999, a 21 year-old woman, Esma Yurdakul, killed herself in a suicide attack in Istanbul. 10 people were injured.

On July 5, 1999, Rusen Tabanci, 19, flashed the “V for victory,” and detonated the bombs strapped to her body in Adana, wounding 17 people.

In Chechnya

On June 9, 2000, a young Muslim woman, Hawa Barayev, drove into a building housing Russian Special Forces, in Alkhan Kala, killing 27 soldiers. She was connected to the Chechen rebels who defended her in a very strong stand on their website. Hawa’s last words were: “I know what I am doing, paradise has a price, and I hope this will be the price for Paradise.” For the attack, a man accompanied the young suicide bomber, but this fact is not often referred to. [83]

According to the English Pravda, on November 29, 2001, a female suicide bomber, Luisa Gazueva, attempted to kill Commander Gaidar Gadzhiev in Urus Martan, killing 2 people, and wounding her target and his bodyguard, who later died of his wounds. [84] She was the young widow (in her late twenties) of a former member of an armed group. The rebels did not associate themselves with her attack, although she must not have acted completely alone.

In Israel

On Jan. 27, 2002, a 28-year-old woman walked into a shopping district on Jerusalem's Jaffa Road and blew herself up. Wafa Idriss, the perpetrator, killed one man, and wounded ninety people. She was divorced, without children, and worked as a paramedic for the Red Crescent. She lived at the Amari Refugee Camp near Ramallah. There are some questions about whether it was really intended, or if the bomb exploded too soon.

The second suicide bombing perpetrated by a woman occurred on February 27, 2002. 21-year-old Dareen Abu Aysheh blew herself up at the Israeli Maccabim roadblock in West Ramallah (West Bank), wounding four Israelis. She was a student at Al-Najah University in Nablus, and came from the village of Beit Wazan, in the West Bank. She went to Hamas to volunteer, but was turned down. She was single, and her parents said she was religious.

On March 29, 2002, Ayat Akhras, an 18-year-old girl blew herself up in a Jerusalem supermarket in Kyriat Hayovel, killing two Israelis. She had previously taped a martyr statement. The Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades (allied to Arafat’s Fatah) claimed responsibility. She was engaged to Shali Abu Laban, and came from the Dehaisha Refugee Camp, near Bethlehem.

On April 12, 2002, Andaleeb Takafka, a 20-year-old girl from Bethlehem, detonated a belt full of explosives at a Jerusalem bus stop, killing six Israelis, and injuring sixty. She was a Tanzim operative from Bethlehem.

Some women were arrested before the intended attacks, while others refused to carry out the bombings. These women are Tawriya Hamamra, Arin Ahmed, Shefa’a Alkudsi, and Shiriz Rabi.

On May 30, 2002, Tawriya Hamamra was supposed to carry out an attack in Jerusalem. She volunteered for the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades, and received an hour of training. This 25-year-old woman from a village near Jenin in the West Bank, said in an interview that her reasons for conducting such an attack were personal, and not political. She backed out, and was caught afterwards by the IDF.[85]

The 20 year old Arin Ahmed from Bethlehem, a student in Business Administration, volunteered to carry out an attack to avenge the death of her Tanzim fiancee. She was supposed to commit the bombing in Rishon LeTzion during the last week of April 2002, along with another martyr, the 16-year-old Issa Badir, who went through with his mission, and blew himself up. She changed her mind and did not carry out her attack. She was arrested in June 2002 by the IDF.

A 26 year old divorced mother of a young child, Shefa’a Alkudsi planned to commit a suicide bombing. She was arrested by the IDF on April 11, 2002.

On June 13, 2002, a 15-year-old girl from Bethlehem confessed after interrogation by the IDF that the Tanzim had recruited her through her uncle, for the purpose of conducting a martyr mission.

On June 14, 2002, Israeli security forces apprehended two female would-be suicide terrorists. [86]

On July 27, 2002, Umaya Mohammed Danaj, a 28-year-old woman, was arrested on her way to commit a suicide bombing in Israel.[87]